The Afghan Women's Centre also runs a catering service that offers authentic Afghan cuisine on demand for any occasion.
With the challenges of being a new immigrant, a new language and unfamiliar spaces can be extremely challenging. The Afghan Women’s Center recognizes the universal power of cooking as a source of comfort, the kitchen can be a space of familiarity where families congregate to chat, eat and cook. With this, The AWC’s introduced the Afghan Women's Catering services. The AWCC services bring community members into the communal space of the kitchen to cook and gather. The success of this initiative has been immense, allowing the AWC to develop other activities for members.
Got an AGM, Staff or Board Retreat, Conference or Private Event coming up?
Recipe: Afghan Samosa Gushti
Meat and vegetarian.
Prep time: 30 minutes. Cooking time: 30 minutes. Yields 4-6 servings.
- 2 Boneless chicken breast cut in cubes
- 4 onions coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch of cardamom powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cup of finely chopped coriander
- 2 cup of coarsely chopped spinach
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 table spoon of coriander seed powder
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 kg of puff pastry frozen dough
- 2 egg yolks
- Icing sugar for decoration
1. Preheat your oven at 375 degrees. In a pan, cook the meat in 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of oil. Let it chill then pass it through the food processor until finely chopped.
2. Chop all the herbs, the garlic and the green onions. Mix in a bowl with the oil and the spices. In the meantime golden the onions in the same pan used for the chicken.
3. Add the chopped chicken to the onions once golden. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Unroll the dough and cut it into squares of a diameter of approximately 10 cm. Make sure to allow enough time for thawing (90 min). Place 2 tbsp. of stuffing (vegetarian, meat or both) in the center and fold to form a triangle. Seal the corners with a fork by pressing gently.
5. Brush the top of the samosa with the egg yolk and place in the middle of the oven for about 30 min, until the dough is golden. Sprinkle a little icing sugar on top for decoration.